Healthy Brains Reflection

1 What did you know about this topic before viewing the webinar?

I knew that having a routine that caters to them is essential. I always worked my schedule around my children until they were about 2. It helped me just as much as it helped them. Additionally, I made sure they were stimulated in many ways. We read and sang to them. We still play with them to observe their behavior and development, even at ages 4 and 7.

2-How do you feel about this approach to infant care and development?

I definitely agree with the approach. I have always believed that all behavior is communication as well. Stimulation, safety, understanding, and soothing are crucial to a healthy child. I have used these skills as a mother of two. Seeing them as people with unique hearts and minds helped me avoid overly aggressive or unhelpful behaviors. I am also glad to know that there are people out there who do not consider this coddling.

3-How could you apply this philosophy in your teaching practice?

Educating is teaching yourself how to regulate yourself, engaging your students, and ensuring students feel seen and safe. I will be sure to teach my infants/toddlers how to self-regulate. All these skills can apply to any age group. I will ensure that I know each child before they leave my room. I will be better able to teach and support them.

4-Look around the Conscious Discipline website. What else do you find surprising or interesting to you, and why?

I found the seven powers for conscious adults interesting. The seven powers are perception, unity, attention, free will, love, acceptance, and intention. I often forget that my role as an educator is not simply to command but to model. My role in the lives of students is to help them flourish. If I can model and coach them into safe, respectful students, my class will be easier to work in.